Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Week Later

Dear friends:

It's been exactly a week since we started Teacher's College and yes, I survived it. Needless to say, I am still trying to organize my time even with waking up at 5:00 a.m. If only I could squeeze another 4 hrs. into my day, I would not have to work on my time management skills. No wonder I didn't fall under a GOLD colour of the personality test we did in our Health and Physical Education class. No stress though-I say to myself- I have a lifetime to work on these "underdeveloped" skills.

O.k., this GOLD colour deficiency is only a "minor" detail compared to my GREEN and ORANGE colours, which in two words describe my relationship to learning and teaching - CURIOSITY and ADVENTURE. Let me tell you, the first mentioned noun is always thirsty and the other one is always restless. Where will they take me? Where will Brock take me? I wish my binoculars could see that far.....well, imagination works too.

Btw, as days are passing by and assignments are generously piling up and my memory card belongs to 386 PC version (plus my family photo calendar is too tacky to be seen by public), I finally gave in and bought an agenda. How does one make agendas look motivating? If you have any tips, please DO share. We will get to know each other a bit better, joke and scaffold. You know, you throw an info/tip, I throw another, we barter in hope to bridge the gap and get really equipped to be thrown into the "real" world.

Ok, here goes one:

A friend of a friend is my friend.
A friend of an enemy is my enemy.
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
An enemy of my friend is my enemy.

(not necessarily true, but it might help in teaching math)...If you would like to know more about it, just shoot.

The one below is a quote picked by a gifted student I work with:

Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.

Plato

Ok, G (globe)-trotters, until next class. Looking forward to seeing you all!

Ciao,

Maya The Bee (a.k.a Ana K.)

p.s.

Sorry for abbreviations, simply no time!







5 comments:

Lydia said...

Hi Ana,

Glad you wrote about all the new, exciting things you have discovered about Brock.
Best wishes for a successful year!
Lydia

Lydia said...

One more thing....The ppoem is one of my favourites as well.
Lydia

Ms Konstantinou said...

Hi Ana, I can very much relate to you...except that I am a BLUE and GOLD! We could compliment each other well!!

Kelly said...

Ana,
Thanks for the info on the wiki/chat! I went to see it but it looked like there was nobody in there. Maybe there's more to it than what I did. I just clicked on the 'Chat' heading (6th down on the left). Next time I'm on, I'll look for you there and we can see if we can actually chat! Or draw... there's even a whiteboard :-)

Pinkteacher said...

Hi Ana,
Thanks for your blog comments. I too enjoyed chatting with you on the first few days of school. I hope you are liking your J/I classes. I am excited about the school year but am still trying to iron out all the details. Even though we are in separate classes I look forward to supporting each other when possible.
Take care,
Emma